woensdag 27 mei 2009

Keith Barnes, Engeland (1934-1969)



Keith Barnes werd in 1934 geboren nabij Londen, alwaar hij vanaf zijn dertiende studeerde aan the Royal Academy of Music. Op zijn twaalfde was hij reeds begonnen met het schrijven van muziekstukken, die door verschillende kamergroepen ten uitvoer werden gebracht. In 1959 stopte hij echter met het schrijven van muziek en stapte hij over op de poëzie. Hij werkte voor muziekuitgeverijen en als redacteur bij BBC Film.

Tussen 1962 & 1969 reisde hij veel en woonde in Amerika (alwaar in 1967 zijn debuutbundel "Born to Flying Glass"verscheen) & Frankrijk. De laatste twee jaren van zijn leven verbleef hij in Parijs alwaar hij in 1969 overleed aan leukemie.

tweetalige website over keith barnes

I Will Not Forget

Windfalls of birds and swirls of leaves
I walk pause stop You drive a high sky through me
drop my case throw my coat and grasp you eyes closed
all spellbinding spring throughout the shimmering summer
stand with you and root into the paving stones

Winter gave me old shoes I broke their laces
I shuffled through the days forgot I could stand straight
forgot how love is Jack and Jill down the hill
corridors of diamonds tumbling bees a-buzz
and dreams which smile silence with such suave lips

How could I have borne myself so hibernated
- pitted and slung so low into my body?
How could I have lived without this marrow in my bone?
- so bent so drear so hollow nestling grudges
which you have so simply soothed from me and cast
off like so much jetsam to the sea

As I walk I carry you the warmth of two
and I will not forget will not forget
your legs and arms locked round me your head tucked tight
your breath against my heart inside my clothes
inside my clothes - I won't forget
I do not cannot live without
this hanging fire

Geen opmerkingen: